Ophthalmologist Novena: Do Ophthalmologists do Eye Exams
Ophthalmologists can treat a wide range of eye problems, from relatively minor issues like dry eyes or pink eye to more serious conditions like glaucoma or macular degeneration. Some ophthalmologists also perform surgery, such as cataract surgery or retinal detachment surgery.
When it comes to seeing an ophthalmologist in Novena, one of the most common questions patients ask is; do ophthalmologists also do eye exams? Well, the answer is, yes, ophthalmologists do perform eye exams.
You can always see your ophthalmologist to get the same care you can get from an optometrist, like prescription refills and routine eye exams. Nonetheless, the ophthalmologist can still perform surgery of the eye to help manage different diseases and conditions such as glaucoma, cataracts, and diabetic retinopathy, among others.
What is an Eye Exam?
An eye exam is a comprehensive examination of the eyes that typically includes a series of tests to measure vision, eye health, and the ability to see details. An eye exam may also include measurements of intraocular pressure (IOP), the pressure inside the eye.
During an eye exam, your ophthalmologist in Novena will typically ask about your medical history and any vision problems you may be experiencing. They will then conduct a series of tests to assess your vision and the health of your eyes. Eye exams may be strongly recommended for you if:
- You’re experiencing vision problems: Vision problems like blurry vision, halos around lights, and problems seeing in low-light environments can be signs of eye diseases like glaucoma, cataracts, and age-related macular degeneration. If you’re experiencing any vision problems, it’s important to get them checked out by an ophthalmologist.
- It’s been more than two years since your last eye exam: It’s generally recommended that people have their eyes checked every two years, even if they’re not experiencing any vision problems. This is because some eye diseases, like glaucoma, can progress without causing any symptoms.
- You have diabetes or another medical condition that can affect your eyes: Diabetes and other medical conditions can affect the eyes in a number of ways, so it’s important to have your eyes checked regularly by an ophthalmologist if you have one of these conditions.
- You’re pregnant or have recently given birth: Pregnant women and women who have recently given birth are at an increased risk of developing certain eye conditions, like gestational diabetes and postpartum vision problems. For this reason, it’s important for pregnant women and women who have recently given birth to get their eyes checked by an ophthalmologist.
- You wear contact lenses: Contact lens wearers are at an increased risk of developing eye infections, so it’s essential to get your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist at least once a year.
What are Some Common Eye Problems that an Ophthalmologist Can treat?
There are several different eye problems that your ophthalmologist in Novena can treat. The eye issues you can see an ophthalmologist for include:
Astigmatism is a type of refractive error that occurs when the eye cannot focus light evenly on the retina. This results in blurred vision at all distances. Astigmatism is usually caused by an irregularity in the shape of the cornea, but it can also be caused by an irregularity in the shape of the lens. Astigmatism is common and can often be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery.
Cataracts are a common age-related eye condition that causes the lens of the eye to become cloudy. This can lead to vision problems, including blurred vision, double vision, and difficulty seeing in low-light environments. Cataracts are usually treated with surgery, during which the cloudy lens is removed and replaced with a clear artificial lens.
Glaucoma is known to cause damage to the optic nerve. This can lead to vision loss and, in some cases, even blindness. Glaucoma is often caused by an increase in the pressure inside the eye and is most commonly treated with medication or surgery.
● Diabetic retinopathy
Diabetic retinopathy is a complication of diabetes that affects the retina. It can lead to vision loss and, in some cases, blindness. Diabetic retinopathy is most commonly treated with laser surgery.
● Age-related macular degeneration
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a common age-related eye condition that causes vision loss. AMD affects the macula, which is the part of the eye responsible for central vision. AMD is most commonly treated with medication or surgery.
These are just some of the many eye problems that your ophthalmologist in Novena can treat. If you’re experiencing any vision problems, it’s important to see an ophthalmologist for a comprehensive eye exam.
How much do you Pay for Eye Exam in Singapore
The cost of an eye exam can vary depending on many factors, including the type of exam, the doctor’s fees, and whether or not you have insurance. However, an eye exam can cost anywhere from $50 to $200. It would help get a breakdown of the cost before your visit.
Getting your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist in Novena is a safe and encouraged procedure. However, there is always a small risk of complication as with any medical procedure.
For example, your ophthalmologist may dilate your pupils during a comprehensive eye exam. This is a common and safe procedure that helps the doctor get a better view of the back of your eye. However, dilating your pupils can make your eyes more sensitive to light and cause blurred vision.
These effects usually last for a few hours after the exam. Overall, getting your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist is a safe and effective way to maintain good vision and eye health.
While ophthalmologists do not do eye exams as their primary focus, they are highly trained and skilled in performing them. Ophthalmologists can diagnose and treat a wide variety of eye conditions.
That said; don’t wait until you have a problem to see an ophthalmologist. It’s essential to get comprehensive eye exams regularly, even if you don’t think you have any vision problems. By doing so, you can help ensure that your eyes stay healthy and your vision stays sharp.
At Chelvin SNG Eye Center, we provide comprehensive eye exams at an affordable price. Our team of experienced and qualified ophthalmologists can help you with your vision needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment. Call: +65 6334 2282.
Chelvin Sng Eye Centre – Glaucoma | Cataract Surgery | Eye Specialist
38 IRRAWADDY ROAD MT ELIZABETH NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE, #06-25, 329563
+65 6334 2282